Pages - Menu

8.3.14

Day 4 - Keeping Things Fresh With Your Freezer!



The ground rules of the challenge dictate today is about planning a meal swap. Which you can totally do if you have friends or family who would be interested in keto food! Since that's unlikely, you can do a food swap with YOURSELF- as long as you have a freezer.

Crazy, right?!

But your freezer can be an awesome way to keep some tasty keto stuff on hand for nights when you're busy, late home from work and just want something easy for dinner. You could also use it to keep *gasp* non-keto food on hand, if you live with someone who isn't interested in ketoing. My personal recommendation is to make something you DON'T like and won't be tempted to eat but they will like- I make vegetarian pasta dishes to keep in my freezer, since I absolutely detest legumes, they are safe from me!

There's a variety of keto meals you can make yourself and freeze. Some of my suggestions are:

Soups:

Main dishes:
You can freeze pretty much anything! Those are a few I've had luck with freezing.

Desserts:
Popsicles/Icy Poles (use diet soda in ice block makers! Simple!)


I also like to shape minced beef into patties or meatballs, cook them to rare and then freeze in ziplock bags. Grab out of the freezer to defrost and cook at the same time. Add meatballs to sauce, or fry up the patties and add your favourite toppings. 

Some of the frozen products I like to keep on hand are:
Frozen Spinach - add in anywhere! I love Creamed Spinach
Skinny Cow Ice Creams - low carb ice creams <3
Fish - like white fish fillets (hoki, in this case), or salmon (which you can get plain or in various sauces)
Squid/calamari and other seafood - I toss mine in a little butter in a hot pan with garlic and chili

And remember, you can freeze meat in smaller portions in zip lock bags! Buying in bulk is usually cheaper!


I use bags and containers like these to store things (but the brand doesn't matter, they're all mostly identical!)
Don't forget to label things and add the date you put them in the freezer, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of Unidentifiable Frozen Objects!

No comments:

Post a Comment